On Tue, 26 Sep 2017, Tim-L wrote:

Is there any other place that fonts can be "installed" to?

  Yes, one can make a ~/.fonts directory which is accessible to only the
user. Those in /usr/share/fonts/ are available system-wide. If LO doesn't
reognize a font in one place it won't recognize it in another place.

  Beside, my fonts have resided in the system default directory for 20+
years without problems, except for the occasional issue with a specific
application.

Can you please tell me why you converted Baker Signet from TTF to OTF, I
never converted any font myself, so I do not know what OTF gives you over
the TTF version.

  LO dropped support for TrueType fonts with version 5 and replaced that
with support for OpenTypeFormat fonts. The fontforge tool allows one to
create new fonts and convert existing one from one type or encoding to
another.

Rich