Thank you, Philip.

I opened the default template
(/home/sob/.config/libreoffice/4/user/template/New.ott) and verified
the required font setting for the default document template. Then
I created a comment in the template document, formatted it as I
require, used the little button to select “Format all comments,” and
saved the template again as the default template for documents. (And
logged out for good measure.)

Alas . . . In the document I am working on it still insists on the one
I don’t want (which is not even installed); and now for new documents
it chooses neither one nor the other but a third one!

I’m beginning to think my computer is haunted by the ghost of dead
fonts.