Howdy,

I believe that the difference is in where the function hails from:
CONCATENATE is defined in the ODF standard.
CONCAT comes by way of Excel support.

I think you have a point about how the system should respond when
erroneously using ranges for the ODF function (not supported) and could be
worth opening an issue.

Best wishes,

Drew