On 2020-05-05 17:51, Michael H wrote:
I tried approaching this from the dialogs, and eventually gave up trying to
map it back to the spec.

Michael, I begin by observing that, while you have dropped many intriguing
hints, you are way ahead of me, so I hope you will excuse a couple of novice
questions.  Like you, I tried working from the dialogs (the user view of the
style definition), but you were already a step ahead: to what spec were you
mapping? Where do you find it?

However, when I found flat file format, I found that it's easier to
understand how it works by opening the .fodt files in a plain text editor,
and especially doing 'diff' style comparison between the same file saved as
flat file format before and after making only a couple changes to the
dialog in question.

Great tip, but [sorry, novice question again] where are these .fodt files?

However, pages are more complex than paragraph styles.  There's 3 (?)
different spots that changes to page definition reside in the actual xml,
and understanding their relationship is fun..

By "actual xml", you mean the document file? If so, wouldn't the page
definition naturally be there?

I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction,
John