Hi,

Using LO 7.2.2.2 Calc on iMac 11.6.1(Big Sur).

I have a data column that ends in alphabetic letters i.e.

  C      |  D
2| 2.4 km|    2.4
3| 4.8 km|    4.8

As the ' km' can't be added in column C, I used the LEFT formula to only extract the first 3 digits, namely =LEFT(C2,3). This works wonderfully in column D, BUT whilst not shown on the spreadsheet, the numbers are shown in-between double quotes if one looks at the formula, in column D, with the Function Wizard, which again does not enable the number to be added, averaged etc.

Both C, D columns are formatted as Number with a single decimal point and there will be no -ve number.

What am I missing, and where to rectify it?

Regards
Hylton