HI ANDREW,

On 2021/11/26 16:38, Andrew Pitonyak wrote:
Left will return a string so convert to a number using value... Something like this

=Value(left(....))

THANK YOU Works as expected,now on to the next formula Challenge

Get BlueMail for Android <https://bluemail.me>
On Nov 26, 2021, at 9:12 AM, "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hyl...@conacher.co.za <mailto:hyl...@conacher.co.za>> wrote:

    Hi,

    Using LO7.2.2.2  <http://7.2.2.2>  Calc on iMac 11.6.1(Big Sur).

    I have a data column that ends in alphabetic letters i.e.

        C      |  D
    2| 2.4 km|    2.4
    3| 4.8 km|    4.8

    As the ' km' can't be added in column C, I used the LEFT formula to only
    extract the first 3 digits, namely =LEFT(C2,3). This works wonderfully
    in column D, BUT whilst not shown on the spreadsheet, the numbers are
    shown in-between double quotes if one looks at the formula, in column D,
    with the Function Wizard, which again does not enable the number to be
    added, averaged etc.

    Both C, D columns are formatted as Number with a single decimal point
    and there will be no -ve number.

    What am I missing, and where to rectify it?

    Regards
    Hylton