I dealt with a similar problem by way of using the pam-regex[1] module to
simply transform all entered usernames to lower case... as long as your user
names (on the Linux side) are all *supposed* to be lower case, that should do
the trick :)

(Had the bonus of also solving all sorts of other problem, e.g. things like
file access, if people randomly capitalized their user names.)

Tina

[1] http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/software/pam-modules/manual/html_chapter/
regex.html