On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 04:40:03PM -0400, berg...@merctech.com wrote:
> We're using SoGE 8.1.6 in an environment where users may login to the
> cluster from a Linux workstation (typically using a lower-case login
> name) or a Windows desktop, where their login name (as supplied by the
> enterprise Active Directory) is usually mixed-case.
>
> On the cluster, we've created two passwd entries per-user with an
> identical UID, so there's no distinction in file ownership or any
> permissions or access rights at the Linux shell level. Most users don't
> notice (or care) about the case that's shown when they login.
>
> However, SoGE seems to use the login name literally, not the UID.
>
> This causes two problems:
>
>       job management
>               User "smithj" cannot manage (qdel, qalter) jobs
>               that they submitted as "SmithJ"
>

>       scheduler weighting
>               Using fair-share scheduling, John Smith will get
>               a disproportinate share of resources if he submits
>               jobs as both "smithj" and "SmithJ" vs. Jane Doe
>               who only submits jobs from her Linux machine as
>               "doej".
>
> Is there a way to configure SoGE to treat login IDs with a
> case-insensitive match, or to use UIDs?
>
> We use a JSV pretty extensively, but I didn't see a way to alter login
> names via a JSV -- any suggestions?

I don't think you can make grid engine treat usernames case insensitively
without
patching it.

I think you need to arrange for Grid engine to only see one name regardless of
how
the user logged in.

Not sure if this will work but:
If you are adding users to /etc/passwd or some other mechanism with
an obvious sort order then ensure the preferred format of name comes
first in order iwhen searching and have the PROFILE scripts adjust the
environment variables USER, LOGNAME and anything else embedding the
user's login name to match.

Alternatively:
Write a replacement shell for the less preferred name that invokes sudo to
switch
to the more preferred name.

William