On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 02:54:19AM +0000, Shiel, Adam wrote:
> I finally had a chance to experiment with this some.
>
> I think one basic problem was that I had bash as a login shell. Removing bash
> from the login shell and specifying "qsub -S /bin/bash ...." passed my local
> PATH to the remote job.
>
> But when I don't specify "-S /bin/bash" I get the csh login PATH settings.
> That's our default shell for the queue I'm using.
>
> This happens even when csh isn't in the login shell list. I find that
> unexpected.

Shells read some initialisation files even when not invoked as a login
shell.  From the man page for csh (which is really tcsh) on one of our
clusters:

Non-login shells read only /etc/csh.cshrc and ~/.tcshrc or ~/.cshrc on startup.

So if the PATH is configured in one of those places then it will
override/modify whatever you pass in with -V or -v

William