corrected:

Eric:

I don’t see Azul on SDKMan but I do see the Java feature from zulu.org ,so
that is what you mean right ? thanks

--
Charles Monteiro

On March 8, 2018 at 9:51:36 AM, Charles Monteiro (charles.monte...@gmail.com)
wrote:

Eric:

I don’t see Azul on seaman but I do see the Java feature from zulu.org ,so
that is what you mean right ? thanks

--
Charles Monteiro

On March 8, 2018 at 9:06:01 AM, Eric Helgeson (erichelge...@gmail.com)
wrote:

Hi,

It used to be the case that OpenJDK and OracleJDK  had quite a few
differences in terms of performance and compatibility. But that is no
longer the case in my experience & should be no technical differences in
the near future:

[1] > [The] intent is that within a few releases there should be no
technical differences between OpenJDK builds and Oracle JDK binaries.

In fact many IaaS platforms can only run OpenJDK due to licensing - so if
you're running Grails on AWS Elastic Beanstalk you're already using OpenJDK
(which we do).

Since AWS uses OpenJDK I've been using Azul on my Mac (via sdkman) for
quite some time and have not noticed any incompatibilities or differences
when running Grails or other small groovy apps/scripts.

With Oracle's new release cadence and no overlapping support timelines[2] -
I don't see how any non-oracle-paying java users could use anything but
OpenJDK. For me I don't want to spend time upgrading my JDK - would rather
ship customers features :)

Just my 2c & experience,
-Eric

PS: Maybe worth reaching out to Azul and asking what tests they did to
mention Scala - and to add Groovy there too :D

[1] https://medium.com/codefx-weekly/no-free-java-lts-version-b850192745fb
<https://medium.com/codefx-weekly/no-free-java-lts-version-b850192745fb>
[2] https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/2000/1*vkAzxUI6lgP5sH7qfbNEqQ.png
<https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/2000/1*vkAzxUI6lgP5sH7qfbNEqQ.png>
(via [1])

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 6:09 AM mg <mg...@arscreat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with using
> alternative JVMs with Groovy, especially Azul (https://www.azul.com/) ?
>
> Licensing costs for long term OpenJDK support seem to be much lower, and
> the JVM has additional benefits such as an elastic memory model (JVM memory
> is dynamically allocated/deallocated from the os), continuous concurrent
> garbage collection without freeze-the-world fallback, and application
> startup (warmup) time improvements.
> But I am worried about Groovy compatibility (they only mention Scala
> explicitly on the web page)...
>
> Cheers,
> mg
>

> --