Hiyas,

Xuekun Hu escreveu:
How about 2000 simultaneous users? I plan to use DP Xeon platform with
8G ram and use Apache2.2.3 prefork.

I've sent a message a few minutes ago, ranting about the mean of "XXXX simultaneous users".

In resume, if you're going to serve dynamic content (be it a PHP script, CGI, SSI or the such), it is basically impossible to guess if your machine able to handle that much users.

If you're only talking about static content, then, that might be doable. Personally, I would choose a "worker" model. :)

Thx, Xuekun

Regards,

Domingos.

On 11/14/06, Domingos Parra Novo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
       Hiyas,

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Joel Mandapat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
>> i have an apache 2.0.52 installed with php module.
>> i need to load dynamic php pages.
>> the goal is to maximize the server specs that i have.
>> is it possible to accomodate 10,000 users all at the same time with
>> this kind of hardware specs?
>
> Highly unlikely.  I've never tried a setup like that, but do you
> really think one processor is capable of running 10000 simultaneous
> memory- and processor-hungry php pages?  I doubt it.  A
> very-well-tuned server with tons of memory could probably do 10,000
> simultaneous static pages, but php is a whole different story.

       It also depends on what you call "10,000 users".

Like Joshua said, if you're talking about 10k simultaneous users, thats
basically impossible to serve with only one server.

Some of our fastest apache machines (serving only static content) are
usually able to deliver around 6,500 hits/sec at most. And we're talking
about quad Xeon machines, with 8 Gb of ram.

In counterpart, each of those machines serve at least a hundred million
(static) requests per day, and usually much more then 5 million distinct
users per day.

       As you can see, it all depends on your exact needs.

Regards,

Domingos.

--
Domingos Parra Novo