On 30/07/2011 19:54, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
>>> HTML does not have an "include" directive.
>>> Please don't confuse PHP with HTML.
>> As an aside and for the avoidance of doubt, whilst they are not strictly
>> part of HTML, Server Side Includes (which include a #include directive)
>> are commonly available to plain HTML on many servers.
>
> Server Side Includes execute server-side shell code, and these have to
> be configured on the server.

Indeed so. The point in this context is where and how SSIs are accessed
by the website coder, and that is from within plain HTML. The fact that
they areexecuted by the server does not change this.

> It has nothing to do with HTML.

As I said, SSIs are not part of HTML. But in reality they are associated
with HTML.

As it says in the 'Apache Tutorial: Introduction to Server Side
Includes' at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/ssi.html :

        SSI (Server Side Includes) are directives that are placed in
        HTML pages, and evaluated on the server while the pages are
        being served

> No, not "plain HTML".

Nevertheless, SSIs *are* accessed (both by the coder and by the server)
from what I can rationally only describe as plain HTML. Certainly, SSIs
are not themselves "plain HTML" but they are associated with "plain
HTML" and are placed within "plain HTML".

And so, whilst it is entirely true to say that HTML does not have an
"include" directive, it also true to say that HTML does have an
"include" directive available to it (i.e. available to the plain HTML
coder).

Anyway, enough splitting hairs.