Now that I am at the computer, a more in-depth reply.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Timothy Curchod <timof...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> However, changing that value to '$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://
> *my*.*ip*.*goes*.*here*:80/moodle';" and going to http://
> *my*.*ip*.*goes*.*here*:80/moodle doesn't.  Google Chrome removes the :80
> for some reason from the address bar (Firefox doesn't)

Because the :80 is redundant according to Chrome because 80 is the
"well-known" port for http.

> and it takes almost a minute to come back with the "Oops!" message, as if
> the server is not on.

That is because the request is not rejected or accepted, it just times out.

> The full httpd error log for the problem can be seen here:
> http://pastebin.com/WuF1xsD3
>
> The first error from which is:
>
> [autoindex:error] [pid 4396] [client 127.0.0.1:40388] AH01276: Cannot
> serve directory /var/www/html/: No matching DirectoryIndex
> (index.html,index.php) found, and server-generated directory index
> forbidden by Options directive, referer:
> http://localhost/moodle/login/index.php

Server generated directory index is talking about mod_autoindex and for a
production system, it should be disabled unless you specifically need it.
You need to see why the login page is redirecting you to the wrong place. I
imagine that after login, you should be redirected to /moodle, not / as the
error log indicated is happening.

Also, I recommend you set your timezone in php.ini as mentioned in the
error log. It will save you from some odd situations where date functions
don't work properly.

Why is it then forbidden to serve something to the web that is OK for
> localhost?

The error log does not indicate that this is the case. To the contrary,
every entry in the log that references a client says the source is
127.0.0.1 (a.k.a. localhost).

The Linksys WRT54C router using Automatic Configuration DHCP is set as
> follows:
>
> Port Range
>
> Application Start End Protocol IP Address Enable
>
> Apache httpd    80 to 80 Both 192.168.1.100 Check
>
> Apache Tomcat 8080 to 8080    Both  192.168.1.126    Check
>
> (Both means TCP and UDP)

Can you take the linksys out of the picture by accessing 192.168.1.100 from
another computer inside your network?

 Taking moodle out of the picture and running strace on
> http://211.220.31.50/test.html cuases the same error.  So it's not a
> Moodle problem.

Since this thread has mentioned several different errors (permissions,
DirectoryIndex, timeout) which one are you referring to?

>  netstat -ln | grep 80
>
> tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN
>

> unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     18068
>    @/tmp/.ICE-unix/1205
>
> unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     18069
>    /tmp/.ICE-unix/1205

As I mentioned, your IPv4 address is not listed here...

- Y