See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/reverse_proxy.html and
http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies.

You do need to have a httpd instance running at all times; how else do you
think it will serve requests?

Lastly, your comment about the documentation is a bit odd - perhaps you
could offer constructive comments on specific sections instead, so that we
could work on improving it. A lot of folks dedicated a lot of time writing
it, and even more would benefit from improvements.