Really nice to hear is your full circle, Dan :)

Mine also.
I started all this by using the excellent Bold for Delphi components, now
Capable Objects MDriven Framework [1].
It was wonderful to design in Rational Rose your entities, including
constraints in OCL, and after that generate the code, reverse engineer and use
OCL as the query language to traverse the domain relationships.
Please, take a critical look at [1], as it was the only MDA-like implementation
I know that really works.
I have a customer system running on it for 8 years without nearly any
maitenance …
Many ideas like ViewModels, etc. are also present there, but its implementation
is .NET based.

You’ve cited many solutions, including really agile ones that seem interesting,
specially plantuml.
For me, initially seems hard to implement the full code generation & reverse
engineering cycle for a codebase, but seems you think it’s feasible by putting
those solutions together.
Love the idea to generate it from the meta-model, but perhaps some “exception”
might be done to include some @Programmatic actions.

Seems plantuml is quite extended, so any visual editor based on drag-n-drop
must exist out there (critical aspect for me; I think better visually ;).

Really love also your idea about automatically generating sequence diagrams
from Events derived from actions executed while testing using BDD.
Each sequence task can be inferred from each BDD “step” executed, and the
wrapped actions will generate events that can be subscribed to.
So I envision it visually depicted as each BDD step being a “group” of action
calls under a UML comment.

Are you thinking about something similar?

Cheers,

Oscar

[1] http://www.capableobjects.com