Sandor,

What makes you think it replaces the entire dataset? Have you seen this happen? HTTP PUT on the dataset URI wil do that - s-put does not because it replaces the graph, default or named, not the whole dataset.
See the "SPARQL Graph Store Protocol".

If your file is not in its own graph, you'll need to use a SPARQL Update operation DELETE/INSERT/WHERE.

s-post is "add RDF to a graph". in HTTP, POST should always be "append-like" when on some container-like resource.

        Andy