TriX is of course better than nothing, but it's not really an adequate
replacement as its triple/quad based and not resource (/graph - which is
currently missing) based as RDF/XML.

There is a RAX Community Group at W3C that aimed to address the RDF and XML
intersection, but it hasn't produced much beyond the following document. My
arguments on why RDF/XML with graph support would be useful:
https://www.w3.org/community/rax/wiki/Draft_Material#XML_formats_for_RDF_datasets_.28quads.29