Sounds familiar.

Could you try 3.8.0 please.
JENA-1539

On 09/08/18 12:58, Claude Warren wrote:
I get the following exception in some code in 3.7.0 but not in 3.6.0

Exception in thread "SemaphoreListener"
org.apache.jena.sparql.JenaTransactionException:
Already in a transaction of a different type: outer=WRITE : inner=READ

How are you using transactions (what's the stack)?

The statement is correct.  But I thought that a READ was possible when a
Write was active.

Yes but this is not what it is about.

This is one transaction inside another. True nested tranactions aren't supported. Instead, the current transaction is continued if it is compatible: current=W wanted inner=R is compatible, current=R, wanted=W is not.

In the code I have a ModelListener that when it sees a specific change
executes an Ask query.  both the original insert and the ask are executed
via an RDFConnection (and perhaps herein lays the problem?)

What sort of RDFConnection?

Does the RDFConnection start a new transaction?  If I executed query
directly against the model that the update was in (rather than via the
RDFConnection) would that put both queries within the same execution?

Claude