Steve

Think I've shared this before on-list, I produced a slide deck a long time ago
(2014) that covers this topic more focused on ARQ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixetdcfesqse893/SPARQL%20Optimization%20101.pptx?dl=0

Some of the details have changed in the interim (e.g. new optimizations added,
default order of optimizations changed etc) but a lot of the core material is
still relevant

I would also recommend Pavel's talk that Andy linked, as Andy says it covers
the need for query authors to frame their queries appropriately but it also
goes into more depth around some of the core low level implementation details
of SPARQL engines e.g. join types

Rob

On 18/03/2021, 14:20, "Andy Seaborne" <a...@apache.org> wrote:

    On 17/03/2021 22:45, Steve Vestal wrote:
    > I'd like to dig a bit deeper into SPARQL query performance, better
    > understand how different query formulations affect that, how ARQ
    > configuration parameters might be used to tune that.  Can anyone
    > recommend a place to start reading beyond the SPARQL book and language
    > definition?

    Hi Steve,

    It's a bit "it depends on the query.

    There was a presentation recently  and while its not about ARQ, the
    fundamental point that getting the basic graph pattern matching working
    efficiently applies.

    http://www.lotico.com/index.php/SPARQL_Query_Optimization_with_Pavel_Klinov

    Do you have specific queries in mind or is this a general enquiry?