From: Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Sent: 26 March 2021 15:32
To: users@jena.apache.org <users@jena.apache.org>
Subject: Re: About Parameterized SPARQL String

Hi Samita,

The values are inserted in to the overall query at the point where they
are bound. There are 3 places allowed - Basic Graph Pattern Matching
Property Path Patterns and GRAPH ?g - which are the places where SPARQL
touches the data.

Let;'s say we have { ?s ?p ?o } and we want ?s to be ex:s.

this becomes (written in SPARQL syntax)

{ ?s ?p ?o VALUES ?s { ex:s } }

which is join( {?s ?p ?o }, T) where T is the table from VALUES.

{ ?s :p ?o } UNION { ?s :q ?z }

becomes

{ ?s ?p ?o VALUES ?s { ex:s } } UNION { ?s :q ?z VALUES ?s { ex:s } }

multiple joins -- the algebra forms are given in the write-up.

Doing it this way leaves the variable in-place, so it can be used in
expressions but the value it has is forced to a specific RDF term.

     Andy