On 24/11/2023 10:40, Marco Neumann wrote:
The URI syntax is defined by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) in
RFC 3986.

W3C RDF is just a rule-taker here ;)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3986

We've drafted a non-normative section:

https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf12-concepts/#iri-abnf

which is all the RFCs we could find and adopting the current state of terminology.

Nowadays, URI and IRI are interchangeable. Only use in HTTP requests worries about ASCII vs UTF-8 and then only in old software. Use a toolkit and it'll sort it out.

Only the URI scheme name is restricted to A-Z.

   Andy

Marco