In other words, if I change the number of partitions, can I restart the
brokers one at a time so that I can continue processing data?

Changing the # of partitions is an online operation and doesn't require
restarting the brokers. However, any other configuration (with the
exception of a few operations) that requires a broker restart can be done
in a rolling manner.