Hi Joel,

I'm looking more closely at the OffsetCommitRequest wire protocol change
you mentioned below, and I cannot figure out how to explicitly construct a
request with the earlier version.  Should the api version be different for
requests that do not include it and/or servers that do not support the
timestamp field?  It looks like 0.8.1.1 did not include the timestamp field
and used api version 0.  But 0.8.2-beta seems to now require timestamps
even when I explicitly encode OffsetCommitRequest api version 0 (server
logs a BufferUnderflowException).

Is this the expected server behavior?  Can you provide any tips on how
third-party clients should manage the wire-protocol change for this api
method (I'm working on kafka-python)?

Thanks,

-Dana