Hi Gwen, I am using/writing kafka-python to construct api requests and have
not dug too deeply into the server source code.  But I believe it is
kafka/api/OffsetCommitRequest.scala and specifically the readFrom method
used to decode the wire protocol.

-Dana
OffsetCommitRequest has two constructors now:

For version 0:
 OffsetCommitRequest(String groupId, Map<TopicPartition,
PartitionData> offsetData)

And version 1:
OffsetCommitRequest(String groupId, int generationId, String
consumerId, Map<TopicPartition, PartitionData> offsetData)

None of them seem to require timestamps... so I'm not sure where you
see that this is required. Can you share an example?

Gwen

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 11:15 PM, Dana Powers <dana.pow...@rd.io> wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> I'm looking more closely at the OffsetCommitRequest wire protocol change
> you mentioned below, and I cannot figure out how to explicitly construct a
> request with the earlier version.  Should the api version be different for
> requests that do not include it and/or servers that do not support the
> timestamp field?  It looks like 0.8.1.1 did not include the timestamp
field
> and used api version 0.  But 0.8.2-beta seems to now require timestamps
> even when I explicitly encode OffsetCommitRequest api version 0 (server
> logs a BufferUnderflowException).
>
> Is this the expected server behavior?  Can you provide any tips on how
> third-party clients should manage the wire-protocol change for this api
> method (I'm working on kafka-python)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dana
>
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Joel Koshy <jjkosh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes it should be backwards compatible. So for e.g., you should be able
>> to use an 0.8.1 client with an 0.8.2 broker. In general, you should
>> not upgrade your clients until after the brokers have been upgraded.
>> However, you can point an 0.8.2 client at an 0.8.1 broker. One wire
>> protocol change I'm aware of is the OffsetCommitRequest.  There is a
>> change in the OffsetCommitRequest format (KAFKA-1634) although you can
>> explicitly construct an OffsetCommitRequest with the earlier version.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joel
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 03:39:41PM -0500, Marius Bogoevici wrote:
>> > Hi Joel,
>> >
>> > Thanks for all the clarifications!  Just another question on this: will
>> > 0.8.2 be backwards compatible with 0.8.1, just as 0.8.1 was with 0.8?
>> > Generally speaking, would there be any concerns with using the 0.8.2
>> > consumer with a 0.8.1 broker, for instance?
>> >
>> > Marius

>> Kafka

>> currently
>> are