For 3, Confluent wrote a REST proxy that's pretty comprehensive. See the
docs: http://confluent.io/docs/current/kafka-rest/docs/intro.html and a
blog post describing it + future directions:
http://blog.confluent.io/2015/03/25/a-comprehensive-open-source-rest-proxy-for-kafka/

There are a few other REST proxies:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Clients#Clients-HTTPREST
But I don't think any of them support everything you need yet --
specifically, security stuff isn't included in any of them yet. You could
address this with some performance hit by putting another HTTP server like
nginx in front of the proxies (locally with each instance) to get that
control. For Confluent's proxy, we're also thinking about how to add
security features since we'll need something to protect admin operations:
https://github.com/confluentinc/kafka-rest/wiki/Project---Admin-APIs

-Ewen

Ewen