Please correct me if wrong, but I think it is really not hard constraint
that one cannot have more consumers (from same group) than partitions on
single topic - all the surplus consumers will not be assigned to consume
any partition, but they can be there and as soon as one active consumer
from same group goes offline (its connection to ZK is dropped), consumers
from the group will be rebalanced so one passively waiting consumer will
become active.

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.