You're right Stevo, I should re-phrase to say that there can be no more
_active_ consumers than there are partitions (within a single consumer
group).
I'm guessing that's what Nimi is alluding to asking, but perhaps he can
elaborate on whether he's using consumer groups and/or whether the 100
partitions are all for a single topic, or multiple topics.