There are two ways you can configure your topics, log compaction and with
no cleaning. The choice depends on your use case. Are the records uniquely
identifiable and will they receive updates? Then log compaction is the way
to go. If they are truly read only, you can go without log compaction.

We have a small processes which consume a topic and perform upserts to our
various database engines. It's easy to change how it all works and simply
consume the single source of truth again.

I've written a bit about log compaction here:
http://www.shayne.me/blog/2015/2015-06-25-everything-about-kafka-part-2/