I am trying to replace ActiveMQ with Kafka in our environment however I
have encountered a strange problem that basically prevents from using Kafka
in production. The problem is that sometimes the offsets are not committed.

I am using Kafka 0.8.2.1, offset storage = kafka, high level consumer,
auto-commit = off. Every N messages I issue commitOffsets(). Now here is
the problem - if N is below a certain number (180 000 for me) it works and
the offset is moving. If N is 180 000 or more the offset is not updated
after commitOffsets

I am looking at offsets using kafka-run-class.sh
kafka.tools.ConsumerOffsetChecker
Any help?