Hemanth,

Can you be a bit more specific about your setup? Do you have control over
the format of the request bodies that reach HAProxy or not? If you do,
Confluent's REST proxy should work fine and does not require the Schema
Registry. It supports both binary (encoded as base64 so it can be passed
via the JSON request body) and Avro. With Avro it uses the schema registry,
but the binary mode doesn't require it.

If you don't have control over the format, then the REST proxy is not
currently designed to support that use case. I don't think HAProxy can
rewrite request bodies (beyond per-line regexes, which would be hard to
make work), so that's not an option either. It would certainly be possible
to make a small addition to the REST proxy to allow binary request bodies
to be produced directly to a topic specified in the URL, though you'd be
paying pretty high overhead per message -- without the ability to batch,
you're doing one HTTP request per messages. This might not be bad if your
messages are large enough? (Then again, the same issue applies regardless
of what solution you end up with if each of the requests to HAProxy only
contains one message).

-Ewen

Ewen