Marc,

As Erik said, the behavior I was referring to is for the standard Kafka
producer, which the REST proxy uses for sending data to Kafka. Batches are
not of a predetermined fixed size or anything like that. Internally, the
producer maintains a queue of messages, keeping track of both outstanding
requests (we've sent the request to the broker, but not seen the ack yet)
and requests that we can't yet send (we already have
max.in.flight.requests.per.connection requests to the broker). If you have
nothing in the queue, you'll always be able to send immediately. The
linger.ms setting is one of the settings that controls batching. By default
it is set to 0, meaning that if it is able to send a new request (has at
least one more request allowed for the connection), it will not wait at all
for any more messages. So if the rate of messages is low enough, messages
will always be sent out immediately. If it is higher, batching will
automatically occur on messages that have to wait to be sent -- as soon as
an ack from another message is received, the producer will look at what
messages need to be sent, collect *up to* a full batch (batch.size setting)
of them, and send out a request with that data.

If you turn linger.ms up, it delays messages for the specified number of
milliseconds, providing some time for other messages to collect before
sending out a message. You might want to do this if you are willing to risk
losing that data as it sits in the in-memory queue in order to avoid making
a bunch of smaller produce requests to the server.

Note that there is *always* a risk of losing some messages if they have to
sit in the buffer on the producer. The way to minimize this is to adjust
the settings to match your workload such that messages *never* wait to be
sent. However, beware that this can result in a *lot* of very small
messages to Kafka, and each message has overhead. Sending requests that
aggressively can impact performance and throughput.

-Ewen

Ewen