See answers inline

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Sandhu, Dilpreet <dsan...@illumina.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>        I am new to Kafka usage. Here are some questions that I have in
> mind. Kindly help me understand it better. If some questions make no sense
> feel free to call it out.
> 1.  Is it possible to prune log offsets (messages)older than certain date
> in a partition?

You can configure the retention time for a topic, all older messages will
be pruned. This configuration is at topic level, not for a specific
partition.

> 2. Will Kafka delete a topic regardless of unconsumed messages, if log
> retention hours limit is met?

Yes

> 3. Is there a way to just delete messages in Kafka?

Normally, we are only deleting messages when they are old or when size
limit is exceeded.
There is a special "compaction" mode where the last message for any key is
stored forever. In this mode you can delete messages by sending a new
message with that key and a "null" value. However, this also just takes
place after a certain amount of time.