Gary,

The Apache Kafka project itself, only maintains Java clients -- thus,
your are right that those are the primary and best supported clients.
(Kafka used to have Scala clients, but those are all deprecated now and
will be removed eventually.)

Clients in other languages are not part of Apache Kafka project itself
but developed by third parties. Thus, the quality and feature set of
those clients can vary. A list of known third party clients is
maintained in the Kafka Wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Clients

If a client does not support a feature, it's a client limitation only.
The Kafka protocol is a binary protocol and thus it's up to the client
to (fully) implement the protocol -- the broker does not even know in
which language a client is written. (cf
https://kafka.apache.org/protocol) Thus, you should open feature
requests for clients to support pattern subscription if it's missing and
you need it.

If you need help to get librdkafka to compile on arm, you might want to
reach out to on Github (https://github.com/edenhill/librdkafka) or
Confluent mailing list
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/confluent-platform) or
Confluent Slack (https://launchpass.com/confluentcommunity).