From what I've read, a Ktable directly sourced from a compacted topic is smart
enough to not use a change log in the background.  I must be doing something
wrong though as I have a setup similar to below and I can see on the broker a
topic named something like myappid-myStore-changelog is actually being utilized.

There's a sub-topology to create the compacted topic, and the simple
sub-topology below for the ktable.

KTable<String, String> myTable = streamsBuilder.table(myCompactedTopicName,

                                  Consumed.with(stringSerde, stringSerde),

                                 Materialized.as("myStore"));

It's used to get at the state store for occasional queries.

kvStore = kafkaStreams.store("myStore", QueryableStoreTypes.keyValueStore());

Am I way off base in my understanding/approach, or just missing some tweak?