Hi! We have been trying to figure out why we see a high value of
ProduceMessageConversionsPerSec and potentially high CPU usage. I was
trying to understand what version our producers/consumers were using, but I
was unable to grok this. Any help would be appreciated.

We are seeing values of `version=8` and `version=9` for RequestsPerSec
"request=produce", and we found:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/server-common/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/server/common/MetadataVersion.java#L163-L171
which indicate version 3.4 and 3.5.

Im following what is described in KIP-272. Although I later found KIP-511
which seems to expose a new metric, KIP-896 also implies that versions are
checked through the RequestsPerSec metric.

Any guidance will be appreciated.