Thanks again Luke, I tested the following in "change setting, test
producing, review metrics" fashion:

- Remove the `zstd` setting from the broker

This had no effect; I could still see the conversions happening

- Set the producer to compress to `zstd`

This had an effect, and I could see the metric go down.

My thought here is that maybe if the setting was on when the topic was
created, maybe I have to explicitly change it in the topic? The strange
thing is that I also tested this, and I still saw conversion.

Do I understand correctly that messages from 9+ do not follow the same
conversion as before? If you have a KIP that you know about, Im happy to
read.