I just notice this during some mailling for instance to send 100 SMS it
tooks about 11 minutes to send them AND to receive DLR (ACK & Success)
Because during these period the modem has to send and handle the delivery
report that comes back from SMSC and it can only handle message one by one.

I don't know if it depends from others parameters like your location from
the GSM antenna, congestion, etc...

Emmanuel