On 08/22/15 22:32, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 22.08.2015, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Well, I set both of those to "true" and the link you provided played
>> just fine as well as any video that I could find so far.
> So now the question is: why does it play for you, but not for me when
> both options are set to "true"?

Yes, that is the question.

> Both options default to "false" in latest Fedora Firefox 40, which
> means you can't watch any video on Youtube with a higher resolution
> than max. 480p. At least I can't. Higher resolutions as 720 or 1080p
> are only accessible to me when both options are "true". Otherwise, I
> simply can't choose them. They are not offered.

With both options set to "false" my system plays this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_zcEgx1IgQ in 720p.

>> Maybe point me to a video that doesn't play for you with them sent to true?
> I already did. It works for you, but not for me, and I wonder why.

I was talking about a real video.  Not a CD with a static picture.  I find
those to be different.

>>  FWIW, I'm not sure of the value of setting media.mediasource.webm.enabled
>> to true since I've not encountered any Matroska formatted videos.
> As already written: *not a single* HD video on Youtube offers me to go
> above 480p when these two options default to "false".
>
> What am I missing?

Don't know what would make my system work and yours not unless you have an
extension or plugin installed which is getting in the way.

--
It seems most people that say they are "done talking about it" never really are
until given the last word.