> So what do I want a picture viewer to provide:
>
> [1] A directory tree view so I can go through all of my picture
directories easily.
> [2] A thumbprint view so I can scan down easily for the pictures I want
to see/show.
> [3] A full screen pic viewer that offers editing and printing.
> [4] Slideshow function and support animated gifs (I encountered one
viewer somewhere that did not)

> Not a big list.  gthumb on F21 was just right, but with F22 became too
feature rich (but was really good for printing).

Personally I just use the file manager for 1 and 2 set to thumbnail and
zoomed to see the image thumbnails on my xfce system.  GIMP comes into play
to manipulate the image and make adjustments, a right-click operation.  And
the default image viewer for a quick full screen look or slide show
operation handled 3 and 4.  I don't do heavy image work like I used too, so
this works for me.  When I did do work on my photography Shotwell worked
for the things you asked; though I didn't use the image adjustments in the
software, again GIMP worked well especially when I added the RAW support
for my Nikon.  My 2 bits.

Fred