> Tom Horsley writes:
>
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:29:51 -0400
>> Saint Michael wrote:
>>
>> > In short, the most recent update to Centos7, makes Mariadb unable to
>> start
>> > in both versions that use systemd.
>> > This affects millions of users. I had to replace my container for a
>> Fedora
>> > 22 one, and lower ,my version of Mariadb.
>> > Does anybody of any work around?
>>
>> I have vast numbers of things in my rc.local file to delay a
>> bit then restart services that never start correctly (mainly
>> because systemd has no idea when the network is in fact "up").
>>

> I find that the following wait-for-network.service is fairly bulletproof:
>
> [Unit]
> Description=Wait for network ports to be initialized
> Before=network.target network-online.target
> After=network.service
> Wants=network.target
>
> [Service]
> Type=oneshot
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/true
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> Then, enable this, and network-online.target.

I have this configured on my F23 machine running MythTV. This doesn't work
since I have a Ceton InfiniTV cable capture card. The card's driver
presents itself as a virtual network interface, and once that comes up,
systemd is like, "whelp, I'm done here!" and proceeds to start everything
else which requires a network connection. This means that anything which
does a "bind to all network interfaces" between the time that the virtual
network interface comes up (uSecs) and the DHCP response comes back with
the actual external network interface address (mSecs) *doesn't actually
bind to an external network interface*.

Several people have raised this on the MythTV lists and provided feedback
to the systemd developers. Last I heard their response was "this isn't
broken because we don't know that it's a virtual network interface and we
can't wait for ALL the network interfaces to come up because .... reasons.
Closed: Working As Intended."

The work-around was to buy a UPS for that machine because the #1 cause of
reboots was flaky power in our neighborhood. No reboots ~> fewer chances
for systemd to do the wrong thing.

Sadly I think the power company will fix the distribution infrastructure in
our neighborhood before systemd gets this working correctly.

-jdm