> On Fri, 2016-10-07 at 09:22 -0500, geo.inbox.ignored wrote:
>> you do not mention if problem system is a desktop or laptop, tho such
>> may not matter.
>
> It's desktop with an added Nvidia card.
>
>> in following your thread, there are a couple things that i wonder about.
>>
>>  1- did problem start after an update or some other system change?
>
> Most likely after an Nvidia driver update, but TBH I wasn't paying
> attention.
>
>>  2- why do you place fault with graphics card?
>
> I place the problem with the graphics *driver* because when I switch
> drivers it goes away, and when I switch them back it returns.
>
>>  3- is swap partition of adequate size to hold running programs that
>>     are using memory/disk space along with running system?
>
> Yes. I enabled hibernation months ago and it worked up until fairly
> recently (2 or 4 weeks roughly). Hence my conclusion that the Nvidia
> drivers have something to do with it. Unfortunately Googling the issue
> doesn't show up anything useful. If I kept notes of significant changes
> (or could understand the systemd journal) I could probably pin it down,
> but that's a big ask. I suspect many of us are in the same position.
>
> As I said, I'm happy enough with suspend for now. My aim was to reduce
> power consumption at night (this isn't a server that has to be on all
> the time).

==>

this now reads as if main of problem is with the coding of new driver.
that is, new driver is not liking your video chipset.

therefore, i believe your solution would be to get with nvidia to insure
their new driver handles your chipset.

if it happens to be an 'optimus', then you might have a look at;

  http://bumblee-project.org

as for nvidia site, check to see if you can find a more proper driver at;

  http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

as for 'on all the time', i agree about your saving power.

*but*, give consideration to fact that powering a system up and down
can be more costly due to 'electronic' wear and tear on system.

computers are like a light bulb, leave the light on and it will last
longer than it will by having to deal with inrush current when turned
on from a cold state.

if you feel that you must save power, consider 'save to memory'. in
'long run', cost of electricity may well be less than having to replace
costly components.

--

peace out.

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.8

tc,hago.

.

=+=
Tired of having your microsoft os hacked?
Change to Linux os, used by microsoft hackers.
=+=
=+=