> On Mon, 2016-10-10 at 11:42 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
>> On Fri, 2016-10-07 at 16:35 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>

>>> As I said, I'm happy enough with suspend for now. My aim was to
>>> reduce
>>> power consumption at night (this isn't a server that has to be on all
>>> the time).
>>
>> I dont' think computers use that much power (least normal workstations
>> anyway) to bring up or down your utility bill much, so couldn't you
>> just leave it on as is and just shut off your monitor until your ready
>> to use it again?
>
> I used to do that up until about a year ago. Since then I think I have
> noticed a reduced utility bill, but of course that's not really
> evidence as there are other factors, including lower rates because of
> the drop in oil prices. This is an i7 system with an Nvidia card, an
> SSD, a 1TB SATA drive and 16TGB of RAM, so probably above average for
> home workstations in terms of power consumption. The monitor is a 23-
> inch HP LCD.

Well, I dunno, 16 tera gigabytes of RAM (you said 16TGB) is a hell of
a lot! I've never seen a mobo that could handle that. :-) Must have the
cooling system from hell in there!

> If there were an easy way to measure it I would :-)

If you have a clamp-style AC ammeter, you can get a widget that you
plug into your outlet and your system plugs into the widget. The widget
splits the hot line out separately. You put your ammeter around that leg
and measure the current. You can compute your usage using Ohm's law,
e.g. if you measure 2A at 120V, that's 240 VA. If you want it in watts,
your average computer has a power factor of about .8, so that'd be 240
times .8 or 192 watts (or so).

Just an idea.