On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 06:49:44 -0400
Neal Becker wrote:

> For quite some time now, when I try to reboot (from kde) the shutdown gets
> stuck saying "a stop job is running for ...".  I just hold the power button.
> Any ideas?

The power button is probably more drastic than necessary.
Recent versions of systemd will (finally!) respond to
holding down Ctrl-Alt-Del and stop waiting on the thing
that will never finish and go on to run the rest of
the shutdown (minor things like cleanly unmounting
disks :-).

You could also see if any of the things on this
web page help:

http://tomhorsley.com/game/punch.html

(though even with all that fanaticism, I still
sometimes get stuck on a stop job on reboot).