Good evening,

Hardware problems have seriously tied me up for about a week now.  My apologies
for my silence on this topic.  The hardware issue is not really fixed yet.  I
likely will be forced off-line again for several days to a few weeks.  If I'm
not responding; assume that that's what's happening.

The fix on Thursday, May 18 did not last.  This past Thursday, my workstation
again failed to boot.  This time, it dropped me into an emergency shell, not
the dracut shell.  This time, the log file was almost twice as long.  But it
reported fsck failures again, this time on sda7 rather than sda6.  So I tried
what my friend did, but with "/dev/sda7" instead of "/dev/sda6" as the command
parameter.  I spent 30-45 minutes doing nothing but rapidly hitting the 'y' key
before the command finally completed.  (Apparently, hundreds of i-nodes were
corrupted this time.)  Then the workstation successfully booted.

I think I spent a week trying to get into BIOS.  But I wasn't seeing a BIOS
screen before the grub menu showed up.  I think it was when I shut down and
started up a different way that I finally saw the BIOS screen.  I quickly
changed the time for the BIOS screen from 2 seconds to 8 seconds.  As suggested
in this discussion, I checked the voltages and the clock.  The voltages looked
fine.  The clock was about 5 seconds slow compared to my "atomic" clock.  I
adjusted that.  This morning, the clock seemed barely noticeably slow compared
to that atomic clock, but by less than a second.  So I'm agreeing with your
suspicions that the battery is getting low.

This morning, I tried to replace the battery.  Most of the motherboard (ASUS
Sabertooth Z77, bought in early 2013) is covered by a hard, dark gray plastic
cover.  The battery should be under that, below the graphics card socket.  I
could not find a way of getting that cover off.  Neither the user's guide nor
the support dvd provided any clues.  The ASUS web site GUI for submitting a
support request did not work.  Any ideas?

If I have to replace the motherboard, will I have to re-install Fedora and
windows-7 (it's a dual-boot system)?

I find it odd that this problem:
* did not seem to affect windows-7 (yet?).
* happened only immediately after doing my weekly Fedora patches ("dnf
upgrade").
* did not occur for a week between the first and second occurrences.
* would corrupt so many i-nodes the second time.

Once the battery gets low enough, I'll have no access to the internet or this
list.  How can I get help if I need it?  My problems will  be beyond what my
local IT friends can handle.

Thank-you for your help so far.
Bill.