I tried badblocks last night.  I didn't realize how long it would take.  After
over 3 hours, I had to abort it to do something else.

This morning, I retried it, this time with options to show its progress.  It
took between 3 1/2 and 3 3/4 hours.  Here are the results:
===============
bash.3[~]: badblocks -s -v /dev/sda
Checking blocks 0 to 1953514583
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done

Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found. (0/0/0 errors)
bash.4[~]:
I don't think this completely rules out the hard drive as the villain, but it's
now less of a suspect.  Am I correct in guessing that the non-destructive
read-write option (option "-n") would take over twice as long (7 1/2 or more
hours)?

Thanks,
Bill.