On 04/03/2018 13:39, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 03/04/18 09:57, Stephen Morris wrote:
Thanks Ed, I tried Gnome under Wayland and Xorg and as documented in the problem
description, even though gnome shell lags with gdm, when gnome under Xorg is
started the lag disappears. The only difference in my case is that the issue was
not caused by upgrading from F26 to F27, which the problem description seems to
be
indicating, it was working fine in F27, until an update I put on caused the
issue.
If as indicated in the problem description the gnome-shell issue only happens
under
Wayland, does that mean that gdm runs under Wayland, and if so is there any way
change that functionality to get gdm to run under Xorg until the Wayland issue
is
resolved?

Yes, the login screen of gdm runs under wayland by default

Edit the file /etc/gdm/custom.conf accordingly

[daemon]
# Uncoment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
#WaylandEnable=false

Thanks Ed, I made that change and it rectified the lagging issues with gdm and gnome. Now to work out why dkms hasn't compiled the nvidia driver under the new kernel.

regards,

Steve