On 03/20/2018 02:10 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 21/3/18 12:05 am, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 08:29 -0400, fred roller wrote:

>>> Apologies for the top posts, gmail insist on top posting reponses and
>>> I forget to adjust.
>> [Maybe also adjust to use plaintext ...]
>
> Just my 2 cents worth on this, relative to the top posting, different
> countries have different requirements, so you may have to keep reminding
> people that this list has a different convention. I have Thunderbird
> configured to top post, and understanding the conventions of this list I
> work around that, but here in Australia it is considered rude to not Top
> Post, and if you don't Top Post, your mail is immediate grounds for it
> to be moved to the "round filing cabinet" without being read.

I've never heard that _countries_ have rules regarding top- and bottom-
posts. It's typically more what the individual SIG (special interest
group, mail-list, etc.) prefer. On the Fedora lists, we prefer bottom-
posts because they maintain the temporal flow of the thread's content
(comments are placed AFTER the thing they're commenting on). Other lists
may prefer top-posts (although I can't understand why since I don't
want to have to scroll through a comment to see what they're commenting
ABOUT). But, you're in Oz and things are reversed there (hell, even the
toilet water goes backwards). (I'm trying to be funny here! Don't take
offense...I lived in Sydney for a year and loved it.)

For years, bottom posts were normal (and I go back to ye olden days of
DARPAnet and moving mail around via UUCP using bang-paths). Then M$
stuck their noses into it and saddled the world with Outlook, which
defaulted to top posting. Internet noobs used it and that's what they
seem comfortable with.

>>> FWIW you can give https://www.asterisk.org/ a try and DIY a phone
>>> server.  The VOIP would give you the mobile option because I used it
>>> an age ago (headset and my laptop were my "phone" with any internet
>>> connection).  Any calls to numbers would bill from server to client
>>> for purpose of long distance; i.e. you home base in England (server)
>>> go to France and call a client in Japan.  Your calls to England home
>>> office, gratis.  France to Japan would be billed from England ->
>>> Japan.  There are ways to mitigate expense if not reduce to zero
>>> altogether if memory serves.  It has been ages since I used this last
>>> but the project is still going strong and OS.  File transfers can be
>>> handled through any number of online fileshare option, rather
>>> previlent these days.
>> Yes, I'm aware of Asterisk and considered it back when I was interested
>> in Google Voice. That's no longer the case and I virtually never make
>> actual phone calls rather than calling over WhatsApp or similar,SIP and
>> H.323  plus
>> Skype is already good enough for the few I do make - mainly to my US
>> bank. If only these apps supported receiving SMS messages ...

Asterisk is really a full-boat VOIP PBX system, not a replacement for
Skype or Slack or GotoMeeting or anything like that. Really anything
that implements SIP and H.323 can be replacements (ekiga, softphone,
etc.) for Skype and its ilk, but you need coordination between the
clients and there are very, VERY few free ones out there. The hardware
for tying into a POTS (plain-old telephone system) is expensive, plus
you have to pay for the lines themselves. So far, I haven't found anyone
philanthropic enough or with deep-enough pockets to fund something
like that for free.