I was able to disable journald similar to this:

systemctl stop systemd-journald-dev-log.socket systemd-journald.socket
systemd-journald.service
systemctl mask systemd-journald-dev-log.socket systemd-journald.socket
systemd-journald.service

(I tried to "disable" those services first, but somehow journald got started
anyway on the next reboot).

Configure rsyslog with:

$AddUnixListenSocket                /var/run/systemd/journal/syslog
$SystemLogSocketName            /var/run/systemd/journal/syslog

Or with the new configuration format[0]:

module(load="imuxsock" SysSock.Name="/run/systemd/journal/syslog"
Socket="/var/run/systemd/journal/syslog")

I also had to adjust the /dev/log symlink to point to
/var/run/systemd/journal/syslog, so that programs like logger(1) will still
work. Added the following to /etc/rc.local (or wherevery custom startup
routines were configured):

ln -svf /var/run/systemd/journal/syslog /dev/log | logger -t "$0"

With all that journald is no longer running and rsyslog still works! :-)

[0] http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/configuration/modules/imuxsock.html