On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 9:35 PM, Christian Kujau <fed...@nerdbynature.de> wrote:

> I was able to disable journald similar to this:
>
> systemctl stop systemd-journald-dev-log.socket systemd-journald.socket
> systemd-journald.service
> systemctl mask systemd-journald-dev-log.socket systemd-journald.socket
> systemd-journald.service
>
> (I tried to "disable" those services first, but somehow journald got started
> anyway on the next reboot).
>
> Configure rsyslog with:
>
> $AddUnixListenSocket /var/run/systemd/journal/syslog
> $SystemLogSocketName /var/run/systemd/journal/syslog
>
> Or with the new configuration format[0]:
>
> module(load="imuxsock" SysSock.Name="/run/systemd/journal/syslog"
> Socket="/var/run/systemd/journal/syslog")
>
> I also had to adjust the /dev/log symlink to point to
> /var/run/systemd/journal/syslog, so that programs like logger(1) will still
> work. Added the following to /etc/rc.local (or wherevery custom startup
> routines were configured):
>
> ln -svf /var/run/systemd/journal/syslog /dev/log | logger -t "$0"

If you disable journald, this is a minimal configuration file that'll
use the default "/dev/log" and "proc/kmsg":

th@localhost ~ $ cat /etc/rsyslog.conf
module(load="imuxsock")
module(load="imklog")
global(workDirectory="/var/lib/rsyslog")
*.* action(type="omfile" file="/var/log/messages")
th@localhost ~ $

[ If you don't disable journald in dracut, you'll still have logs (for
the initramfs) output via "journalctl" reading "/run/log/journal/*" ]