On 04/26/2018 12:14 PM, stan wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:05:28 -0700
Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:
I think the majority opinion now is that logging in as the root user
is discouraged.  In almost all cases sudo is sufficient and if you
need to do root things for a while, just use "sudo -i".  For remote
access as root, use keys.

I guess I hold the minority opinion, but that's OK.  Linux is all about
choice, and the more the better.

I'm curious what you find you need to use a root login for. I used to use that all the time, but gradually I switched over and on my desktop system, it is extremely rare that I use it. (I think only when the graphical display is messed up and I have to switch to a console to fix it.) The places I do use a root login are for remote admin, either servers or remote laptops and computer that I administer. And in almost all cases, the root account is accessed using ssh with keys, no passwords.